Monday, October 1, 2012

I am feeling that familiar sense of removal from nature.   It's like a dull ache.  I get so tired of the constant vibration of the city, the noise, the claustrophobia and the feeling that we have buried nature under us.  Sure it fights through, or we allow it to here and there, but mainly we are in control and we have smothered it.  Today I miss the smell, and the sounds.  I am very grateful for my studio in Red Hook, but the vague smell of fish or is it oil(?) and the hum of the tunnel are strong as I sit.

I long for the ocean, or huge trees..... but instead of running for the hills or taking a sledge hammer to the concrete in the back yard to try and find earth, I meditate and I paint.  A new 5ft by 6ft canvas is my friend today.  Sometimes it can be the enemy or part of a battle but today, blissfully it was a friend.  Im using oil again after a long break, and it feels so good and so right.  It is actually such a sculptural medium, and one I have missed.  The shapes begin to form and slowly I'll find what is there to bring stillness......



1 comment:

  1. How beautiful, reflective and timely. Missing you Brogan.

    ReplyDelete